Extraordinary Leaders Wanted
Covid19 has accelerated digital transformation and forced leaders to face a new challenge: remote team management.
Knowing how to communicate is very important especially in terms of leaders’ behaviours when it comes to style, content, tools and timing.
But which are the factors that Leaders must pay attention to in order to ensure that their communication is effective?
- Trust and competence. We know that leaders who are recognized for their expertise are also perceived as reliable. If leaders are not trusted, the impact of their communications will be negative. Therefore, it is fundamental to continuously build relationships based on trust and professionalism.
How are you managing remote relationships with your teams? Which technology are you using? Have you changed the content and timing of your communications with your resources?
- Positive environment. Create a positive, motivating and engaging environment to prevent communications from being misinterpreted or produce the opposite effect from the desired one. When working remotely, technology offers valid options to stay connected and act on the company environment.
Have you thought about planning one to one meetings to talk to your resources? Have you tried understanding how you can help your team members manage their new routine and deepening their personal needs?
- Clear strategy. Especially in times of uncertainty confusion is not allowed. Leaders must be able to redesign the strategy as needed and to promptly communicate it because the lack of transparency and direction on this aspect makes any other communication unclear and not convincing.
Have you involved your people in the new decision-making processes? Did you ask for their opinion? Have you thought about how the new needs of the company can have an impact on your resources’ growth? Did you share your thoughts with them?
- Integrity. It is this behaviour that often makes the difference. If leaders’ integrity is questioned or not perceived, their messages will be read with the awareness that their promises and commitments will not be fulfilled and this will influence the level of motivation of the team members.
Nowadays the situation is different and difficult to manage also for you. Have you shared your difficulties, your efforts, your commitment to being a constant presence with your team?
- Change. Today more than ever we are questioning ourselves because we need to make changes within our organizations. But in order for team members to believe in the possibility of change, it is necessary that Leaders are recognized for mastering change and adapting to the new needs. This ability of the Leader has a significant impact on how communications are perceived by the rest of the team.
How did you manage unpopular decisions? Have you shared the rational behind changing the business objectives? Have you clearly described the new business scenario in which you will all find yourself operating?
And what about us? What kind of leaders are we? How can we learn about our strenghts and ways to improve for the benefit of our community and our team?
One of the cornerstones of the Zenger Folkman philosophy – and the related 360 assessment tool – is that in order to understand where to improve we need the feedback from those around us. Being aware of the perception that others have of us will help us identify our strenghts so that we can build on them and aim at being excellent leaders.
Today more than ever it is necessary to work on personal development in a concrete way defining a development plan that combines skills, passions and organizational needs. And it is possible to do so thanks to an internationally validated leadership development program that offers remote individual and group paths.
Are you ready to find out if effective communication is already an extraordinary lever of yours and which other strengths do you have and can train to achieve excellence?